Whether you want to reunite with family, escape your routine and recharge on a wellness trip, or celebrate a milestone birthday, South America has something for everyone. Discover our top trip picks for every occasion.
It has always been our goal to take the stress out of travel planning, and that rings true now more than ever. If you’re interested in crafting a custom trip to South America, reach out to a Knowmad Trip Specialist at 612-315-2894 or fill out the short form below to begin planning today!
Guide to south america: a trip for every occasion
Best Family Reunion / Multi-Generational Trip
The Galapagos Islands have so much to offer – incredible wildlife, fascinating history, and a myriad of activities from bird-watching to snorkeling – making it an ideal destination for multiple different interests and ages. The Galapagos has some of the best small-ship expedition style cruises and these allow for a lot of togetherness while still offering different adventure options based on your group’s varying interests and mobility.
- Insider Tip: Depending on your group size, it might make sense to charter your own catamaran for added flexibility and privacy.
- Use our free Galapagos Islands cruise guide to get started >>
Best couple’s Trip: Honeymoon or Romantic Getaway
The excitement of Rio de Janiero’s nightlife coupled with lazy days relaxing on deserted beaches makes our Hidden Beaches of Brazil itinerary perfect for a couple’s getaway. Take it from Knowmad Co-Founder, Jordan, as he describes his “Pinch Me Moment” during his most recent trip their, “laying in a hammock after an incredible local, fresh-catch dinner and a strong caipirinha at the no-frills but perfect Refúgio Mamanguá, which is deep in a remote tropical fjord, the stars started to pop in a layered way I can’t remember ever seeing before. Waves lapped the beach and everything slowed down in a way it hadn’t the entire year.”
- Insider Tip: With more time consider a foray into the Amazon jungle, a connection via Iguazú Falls to Argentina, or time exploring the African heritage of Bahia.
- Learn more about the Hidden Beaches of Brazil trip >>
Best Milestone Trip
Recently retired, an important anniversary in your future, or are you ready to celebrate a big birthday? Active adventurers often find no better way to honor a big milestone than to push their limits. Doing the pilgrimage to Machu Picchu will push you, likely help you know yourself better, and certainly be an amazing experience. Doing the Inca Trail with Knowmad means you’ll do it away from the crowds; that you’ll have charismatic, fun guides and meet unforgettable people along the way; and that you’ll do it all in style with great equipment and food.
- Insider Tip: Knowmad suggests continuing directly to the Sacred Valley after landing in Cusco as opposed to spending your first nights in Cusco. The Sacred Valley is about 1,500 ft. lower than Cusco (about 11,000 ft), which helps you acclimatize more gradually and start your trip off on the right foot. Cusco is a great place to end your trip after visiting Machu Picchu.
- Learn how to plan your ideal Inca Trail trip here >>
Best Wellness Trip: Reset & Recharge
What better way to reset and recharge than endorphin releasing Patagonia adventures during the day and world-renowned food and amenities at night? Adventure lodges offer guests a flexible ‘choose your own adventure’ approach with a wide range of excursions, from wildlife and photography focused days to summiting the famed Base of the Towers and horseback riding. In addition to having far reaching explorations throughout and beyond Torres del Paine National Park they offer lodging featuring the country’s top chefs, wine lists, incredibly relaxing spa packages, and some of the most sweeping hotel views on the planet.
- Hot Deal Alert: Inquire with a Knowmad Adventures Trip Specialist today about Knowmad’s exclusive Tierra lodge deal!*
- Use our free Patagonia Luxury Lodge guide to get started >>
From the incredible wildlife in the Galapagos Islands to the thigh burning hikes in Peru and the one-of-a-kind luxury lodges in Patagonia, South America truly has something for every trip on your list. Are you planning something special for late 2021 or 2022?
Nos Vemos, Lisa
Lisa is the Media Manager at Knowmad Adventures, a company dedicated to creating unique, private and custom trips in South America. She studied abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina, in 2012 and is continually planning her next adventure. Read Lisa’s biography and more about the Knowmad team.