Now Hiring For Operations and Planning Positions
Knowmad is continually growing so please introduce yourself! We share job openings in the Knowmad newsletter and our Facebook page before we post them anywhere else. Sign-up for our newsletter or follow Knowmad Adventures on Facebook to get the most up-to-date information on employment opportunities.
We are continuously accepting applications for our Operations Support position & Trip Specialist position, see below for more details.
what it means to work with knowmad adventures
Knowmad was founded just nine years ago and has quickly become recognized as a leader in custom and private South American travel, winning Travel & Leisure’s A-List honors, Condé Nast Experience Makers awards and being named “one of the best tour operators” by Frommer’s. We build incredible adventures for great people. We open minds. We blow minds. We collaborate, craft, and construct. We have fun. We wear jeans, any day of the week. We laugh, and we grow. Here at Knowmad we are dedicated to unique travel experiences and our office environment reflects that.
Members of Knowmad’s team work both remotely and in our main office located in Minneapolis, MN, depending on their specific role. Minneapolis in the past ten years has been ranked among the top places to live in the U.S for health, happiness, and outdoor fun. Our office is only blocks from lakes and parks ideal for lunch-time biking, cross-country skiing, SUPing and more!
OPERATIONS SUPPORT >
WHAT Get your foot in the door in luxury/experiential adventure travel with this position that gives you insight into every facet of the trip building and execution process. This position allows you to immediately be an important team member adding value to the company while gaining skills to grow into an Operations Specialist or Trip Specialist. Knowmad is a young, fun, and quickly growing trip operator and travel consultancy specializing in South America. The Operations Support role assists Trip Specialists in the initial trip planning phase, the logistical operations of the trips post confirmation, as well as assists the Marketing and Accounting departments. This is a full-time office position located in Minneapolis.
WHOKnowmad Adventures is looking for an extremely detail-oriented, organized, and self-motivated individual. You will be joining a small team working hands-on with all members of the Minneapolis-based team, including the company owners, as well as a network of talented individuals throughout South America. This role is best suited for someone looking to gain experience and learn about all aspects of trip planning, from Sales and Operations to Marketing and Accounting.
WHEN We are continuously looking to hire for this position as it provides the feeder growth for the entire company.
WHERE Position is located at our South Minneapolis office.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Hard worker looking to start a career in Latin America travel.
- Ability to multi-task and handle a wide variety of responsibilities.
- Travel experience in South America and a passion for Latin America
- Excellent writing skills for drafting and finalizing client documents as well as contributing to other writing-intensive projects.
- Ability to work with little guidance and learn new skills independently.
- Advanced knowledge of Apple computers, Word, Excel, iCal, Outlook, CSV files and Google Drive. Must be a very proficient word processor. Further knowledge of WordPress, InDesign, PDF bundling software, and credit card processing portals is a plus.
- Customer service experience. The travel industry requires excellent customer services skills, including patience, enthusiasm, attention to detail, and efficient and effective follow up.
- Ability to provide strong references that will confirm previous successes dealing with challenging and detail-oriented roles.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher (must provide transcript – unofficial is fine).
- Conversational Spanish is a plus but not required.
- Processing traveler registration forms.
- Assisting Trip Specialists with preparation of custom trip proposal documents.
- Assisting Operations with managing trip logistics.
- Scheduling and executing traveler management calendar items.
- Processing traveler payments.
- Database management.
- Mailing trip documents to travelers.
- Assembly of marketing materials.
- Blog post writing.
- Web page formatting (WordPress).
- Assisting marketing with formatting of pre-departure materials (InDesign).
- Assisting accounting with data entry and payment details.
- General administrative needs (minimal errands).
COMPENSATION + JOB DETAILS
- Starting base salary of $32,000 with bonus opportunities after 3 months. Salary and compensation increases in the second and third years is the norm and expectation as you grow into more client-facing and direct revenue generating roles within the company.
- Schedule & hours: We all work a bit of varying hours, but expectations are a minimum of forty active working hours that mostly overlap with core business hours of 9-5.
- After 3 months of employment, 50% health care premium monthly reimbursement begins and 3 weeks of yearly PTO.
- After 18 months of employment, 2 weeks of paid, work-related travel annually to South America.
WHY THIS IS A COOL OPPORTUNITY
Are you someone passionate about Latin America and travel looking to start a career that incorporates these passions and grow alongside one of Latin America travel’s best success stories? This is your chance to chance join a passionate, close-knit team dedicated to creating incredible adventures in South America. In the Operations Support role you’ll learn about each department within Knowmad Adventures from the ground up. This position has a clear growth trajectory into travel planning.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send an email titled ‘Operations Support Position’ to email@example.com, with the following four items attached: resume, cover letter, list of references willing and able to be contacted, and college transcripts (unofficial is fine). Additionally, we encourage applicants to also include a one-page creative letter explaining why you are a good candidate for the position.
TRIP SPECIALIST >
WHAT An awesome opportunity to work in international adventure travel with a young, fun, and quickly growing trip operator and travel consultancy specializing in South America. A Trip Specialist works closely with travelers to build incredible custom trips in South America.
WHO Knowmad Adventures is looking for an extremely hard-working, motivated, talented, inspired, adventurous, fun, dynamic individual. You will be joining a small team and working hands-on with company owners as well as a network of talented individuals throughout South America as we continue to grow.
WHEN Continuously accepting applications.
WHERE Minneapolis, Minnesota office or possibility of working remote with previous applicable travel industry experience (there would be a minimum 2 week training period in Minneapolis in this case).
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Past professional travel planning experience with South America focus
- Extensive travel experience in Chile and/or Argentina and a passion for Latin America and travel in general
- Excellent verbal and phone communication skills, to interact with a variety of clients and demanding expectations for a high level of personalized service
- Excellent writing skills in order to quickly and effectively communicate with clients via email, finalize client documents as well as contribute to Knowmad’s Travel Journal, itinerary creation and other projects.
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Advanced knowledge of Word and Excel as well as excellent general computer skills.
- Experience in multi-project management
- Ability to multi-task and handle a wide variety of responsibilities
- Ability to work with little supervision and use sound judgment
- Ability to provide strong references that will confirm previous successes dealing with challenging, detail-oriented work
- Conversational Spanish a plus but not required
- Follow up with potential leads by phone and email to guide clients through our custom trip planning process.
- Educate potential clients on the destination, excursions and accommodation options while making suggestions for their trip based on what you’ve learned of their travel style and wish list. Determine whether someone is a good fit for Knowmad Adventures, and the style of trips that we create.
- Create a custom itinerary, prepare the trip outline in an excel document, work together with suppliers on the logistics of the itinerary, pay close attention to details at all times, and use efficient and effective follow-up throughout the sales cycle.
- Answer all client pre-departure questions and continue to be a resource to them until the time they return from their trip.
- Prepare final trip documents, paying close attention again to all details of the trip
- Communicate with suppliers and partner network.
- Assist when issues arise while a traveler is on the ground.
- Whatever other tasks need to be accomplished. Ideal candidates will have unique abilities that will be harnessed in growth initiatives and special projects. Projects are a part of all Trip Specialist positions.
COMPENSATION AND JOB DETAILS
- Salary and compensation depends on experience and performance. Knowmad Trip Specialists generally earn above industry averages, and high-performing Trip Specialists have considerable earning potential. Inquire for details when presenting resumé.
- Full time which can exceed 40 hours during busy season. Knowmad values balance and takes a proactive approach with team members to help foster it.
- 3 weeks yearly PTO.
- After 12 months of employment, 2 weeks of paid, work-related travel annually to South America.
WHY THIS IS A COOL OPPORTUNITY
Trip Specialists coming from other companies have commented on the incredible culture, improved earning potential, and better work life balance at Knowmad. We are a fun-loving, smart, motivated group of travel obsessed individuals working together to grow the Knowmad family and ourselves. If you’re a talented Travel Planner with significant Latin America experience and you are looking for a place where you can grow and improve your career and happiness, we would be so pleased and honored to hear from you!
HOW TO APPLY
Please send an email titled ‘Trip Specialist Position’ to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the following items attached: resume, cover letter, and list of references. Additionally, we encourage applicants to also include a one-page creative letter explaining why you are a good candidate for the position and demonstrating your writing abilities. Or just shoot Jordan an email email@example.com with your resumé and tell him why you’re a rockstar.